Let us help you start something new!

Let us help you start something new!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Try It Tuesday - Jazzing Up an Old Favourite!

I think I can safely say that we have all done it at some point or another..  whether by slip of the wrist, or a mere miscalculation of the mix proportions -- perhaps we just didn't know our ingredients well enough and the result of our experiment was ... how shall we say... 
 Grossly underappreciated by all..  I've been there..   have you?

Spaghetti is a big favourite in on our house.  To be honest, James would eat it 7 days a week if we let him.  It ends up being rather the go-to meal when we have a crowd to feed, or when the kids all come home because let's face it -- few people dislike spaghetti.. 

When I first began cooking I used to raid the spice cupboard and sprinkle in a little of this and that, sometimes I'd grab something because I loved the way it smelled ..  and other times..  something like "italian spices" tucked in the back of the spice cupboard just made sense for pasta of any kind.. 

When our kids were small we had issues with what we affectionately dubbed as Picky buggers, and if something even looked like it *might* be pepper, then our girls would dub it as too spicy for their tongues and wouldn't eat it..   funny that years after deciding to tone it down a bunch and let everyone season their own plate to taste - it was these same girls who called one homemade soup bland..    LOL some days you just cannot win, right?  

As many of my regulars know, Red Bell Pepper and Roasted Garlic, are couple of my Epicure go-tos for just about everything lately.  I normally would have added our diced onions as well but this particular cooking day caught me between orders so I actually had to ((Gasps)) cut up a real live onion! 
  
So..  we started with scramble fried hamburger.  I often keep some of this already cooked, then frozen in the freezer to speed up the process.  It's always a bonus when the kids come home wanting nachos and you can just whip a magic bag out of the freezer for a quick after school snack. 

Then in much the same fashion as my omelette principle,  I raided the fridge.  Mushrooms, onions and green peppers are a staple of course but this time I also had some orange and yellow peppers I could add. 


This last picture almost makes me think we should be able to smell what's going on here..    though it was about this point that my family was wandering into the kitchen wanting to know what I'd done to dinner that I was taking pictures of it..    they crack me up!  :)


Once we get to this point, my work is pretty much done.  Add your favourite sauce of choice and away we go.  

The sauce freezes very well, and with this particular batch we fed a family gathering of a dozen people and still had plenty to send home some for a couple of family members to have more at home, and we had one more dinner for the two of us as well.  

I love changing up a recipe and challenging my family to guess what I did to it..   nobody guessed this one..   but we were all pleased with the results.  It doesn't take much to change the whole outlook of your dish but as with most things a little goes a long way -- and it's much easier to add a little bit more, than to try and take a little more away after you've dumped in too much..  

The star of tonight's show?  Why it's Italian Dressing Seasoning!  

Used straight out of the bottle, I added a heaping tablespoon to my large stock pot of sauce..  it was a hit! 


Have you tried something new in your kitchen lately?  Tell us about it! 
Comment below, or e-mail feedmeepicure@gmail.com

Would you like to try a recipe you've seen here?
Visit www.tammywilson.myepicure.com to place an order through our demonstrator website, you can also call, or e-mail your order to us. 

Bon Appetit Friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment